In his Presidential Proclamation, Ronald Reagan said: “For all they have achieved throughout life and for all they continue to accomplish, we owe older citizens our thanks and a heartfelt salute. We can best demonstrate our gratitude and esteem by making sure that our communities are good places in which to mature and grow older — places in which older people can participate to the fullest and can find the encouragement, acceptance, assistance, and services they need to continue to lead lives of independence and dignity.”
Here are some suggestions for recognizing the Seniors in your life:
- Stay Connected-send a note!
- Encourage physical touch and eye contact
- Start a family history project-ask about proud moments or lessons learned
- Make small talk-take a minute to talk to neighbors
- Practice random acts of kindness-sign up for the Alzheimer’s Walk below